Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I'm Not There (But You're Getting Closer)



A longish, 7-minute clip from I'm Not There, originating from Italy, where the film has already been aired. You may want to follow this link back to YouTube - or pause it and wait for it to load entirely - before viewing.

It's easy to make a prediction about reactions when the film sees full release - it will be loved by Dylan fans, like me, who know the story and the legends so well that we're like a bunch of ancients listening to a recitation of The Odyssey. We know about the 10-year voyage, the trials, the return already. We don't listen for the story. We listen because it is the story.

The general reaction will be that it's confused, senseless, boring, impenetrable, chaotic, self-referencing, unapproachable, yadda, yadda. Except for Cate Blanchett, of course, who already seems to have become the Teflon Doll of I'm Not There. And that's okay. It's not for them. It's for us.

I've just watched the clip once, but I already love the "Dylan Goes Electric" scene (and notice the white sound wash of noise - following the story that much of the audience was booing because the sound mix was so awful). And Christian Bale does more than a creditable job as the Gospel-era Dylan, preaching and singing in what seems to be a grammar school auditorium.

It's always nice to have something Dylanesque to look forward to. Chances are I'll never see I'm Not There in the thea-tah, but I'll be first in line for the DVD.

No comments: